Saturday 13 May 2017

Centurion North Downs Way 50 - 13/05/17 - 08:55:26

Arrived at Farnham for 05:45 for the race-registration and kit check.  Passed the kit check - due to near perfect weather conditions (could have done with some light showers) less mandatory equipment to take (e.g. fleece) so less weight to carry.  Race starts at 08:00 so enough time to go over my race stategy.  My Personal Best (PB) is around 08:50 so looking at an average pace of 5.52 mph.  Decided to stick to 6 mph to see where that gets me.  Race briefing starts at 07:30 to be advised that there are other runners on the North Downs Way going in the other direction and they'll be doing 30 miles instead and they don't have approval from the National Trust ... A short 5 minute walk takes us down to the race start where I head towards the front this time - limited oppurtnities on the start trail to overtake.  08:00 we're off!  I start off relatively easy because of the notorius 'Box Hill' (near Dorking - one of the highest points in the South East).  I'm soon passed by quite alot of runners whom if they can keep that pace up are on for sub 8 finishes.  Unpreturbed I stick to the plan and arrive at Checkpoint 1 (6.84 miles) in a time of 1:06:48 (HH:MM:SS) (6.24 mph).  I pass James (the Course Director) whom shouts "nice t-shirt" as I'm wearing the Centurion Grand Slam one.  At the checkpoints as for the others I can take on some fruit (pieces of water melon, bananas, oranges, pineapple), nuts, chocolate and energy gels.  Tailwind drink goes down a treat and manage to limit the time stopped to 2 minutes.  In between checkpoint 1 and 2 along a canal there's a couple of guys dressed in what seems like inflatable summo gear serving hot food ... decide to pass on this - I could do with some other food and water but beating a PB will be nip and tuck ... From Checkpoint 1 to Checkpoint 2 (7.21 miles) the average speed is 5.85 mph in a time of 1:13:54.  My overall average pace drops to 6 mph.  Decide to change my race strategy.  0-10 miles 6 mph; 11-20 5.9; 21-30 5.8; 31-40 5.7 & 41-50 5.6 - this should get my a PB if I can maintain it.  Lots of runners are still overtaking me but unpreturbed I solider on.  One competitor notices my Marathon des Sables bag (as I wear it at these competitions) and questions whether I actually did do MDS ... I let him pass knowing that I'll pass him later on in the day ... Another competitor notices that I'm a Grand Slammer and congratulates me for my achievements as he soldiers on ... From Checkpoint 2 to Checkpoint 3 (9.92 miles) the average speed is 6.59 mph in a time of 1:30:20. There are the other runners on the NDW path and I'm sturggling to keep one eye on not tripping up on tree roots and the other watching runners coming towards me at full pelt.  However, I'm absolutely flying through this stage, like a man possessed (just hope I haven't overcooked it) and I manage to catch up and pass the MDS comment runner never to see him again ... Now it's time to Box Hill - lots and lots of steps to climb ... I pass lots of runners that overtook me during the first 2 checkpoints - one female runner overtakes - I'm impressed with her running style as shes' running on the tops of her toes - it's good for less impact on the knees ... checking my Garmin she breezes past at about 7 mph - hope she can keep it up ...  I think she is the 3rd placed lady so if I can finish just behind her then that's usually my place for a good race.  My quads are cramping up but that's due to walking and jogging uphill in the early stages ... Box Hill makes it worse but I'd rather have cramp in my quads than my hamstrings ... cramp in my hamstrings are harder to run than in my quads.  Arriving at the top of Box Hill I'm greeted by cheers from fellow walkers, the views are amazing, I'm offered some jelly babies - I try to grab three but misjudge that one and end up with one - nevertheless it gives me a sudden sugar rush and I end up sprinting along the path way for one walker to applaud my sprinting prowess after Box Hill.  Box Hill has taken it's toll though.  From Checkpoint 3 to Checkpoint 4 (7.01 miles) the average speed has dropped to 4.72 mph in a time of 1:29:07 but I'm still on course.  My average overall pace is now about 5.69 mph.  Just hoping I didn't overcook Box Hill.  I manage to pick the pace back up from Checkpoint 4 to Checkpoint 5 (6.30 miles) the average speed has gone back up to a repectable 5.72 mph and the overall pace is dropping slightly now to 5.8 mph - it's going to be touch and go to get a new PB.  Checkpoint 5 to Checkpoint 6 (the final checkpoint) is a shorter one at 4.85 miles, the average speed has dropped slighlty to 4.52 mph and the overall pace is dropping slightly now down to 5.7 mph - it's looking less likely to get a PB.  Too get a PB I've got keep on jogging but it's looking more and mroe unlikely - there are more hills now than during the 1st half of the race, not as 'hilly' as Box hill but I'm struglling to job up these.  I try and do some power walking to ease the cramp in my quads.  I've picked up some more niggling injuries - my ankles hurt, my toes hurt, my backpack is digging into my back (but I don't want to waste time rejigging the contents), I'm now beginning to feel dehydrated, my right knee seems to go into a tempoary spasm and I've started to get cramp in my hamstrings.  It's not looking good.  Coming down one of the hills Dave Stuart (non-runner today) has come to offer support, recognises it's me and congratulates me that I'm one of the front runners (considering that it's only two weeks since the Thames Path 100).  He offers me coke, water, jelly babies, etc - I politely decline - will I regret this later on?  Checking my Garmin my average pace does not look good - it's dropped from 5.7 to 5.6 and now worringly down to 5.5 mph.  I calculate that for the last 6 miles I have to run 10 mins per mile.  This is about the same pace that I did when I was fresh jogging to Checkpoint 1.  This really is a tall ask and to compound insult to injury these hills seem to be never ending - surely it has to be downhill soon coming into Knockholt?  I'm running out of Tailwind and not taking on some water from Dave is turning to be a mistake.  My only consolation is if the race comes up short due to lost signals.  5 miles to go and I'm over by about 3 and a half mintues.  I'm reducing the time so a PB looks a possibility.  4 miles to go and I'm now over by 5 and half mintues.  I take a comfort break - regroup and crack on again.  3 miles to go and I just don't have it in my legs anymore - I'm now over PB pace by 7 minutes.  Dare I waste more time by taking on a energy gel for a added boost?  I decide to take the plunge.  I've now got no water left so take a gamble with taking on a energy gel.  2 miles to go - a couple of women pass me and they are flying!  There going hammer and tongue for a 2nd/3rd place female finish - I've got to keep up with them to get a PB - but the cramp in my hamstrings is just too severe.  I get some inspiration from a few walkers whom let me know it's just two more fields to cross and to the finish.  Coming into the final field there's a horse at the kissing gate. The horse refuses to budge.  The horse is preventing me from opening up the kissing gate but I manage to squeeze through.  I pass the horse by going underneath it's head.  Just about manage to do so and I crack on through the final field.  Check my Garmin - I haven't done it - running time is now 08:50 - let's just try and go sub 9 instead.  During the race brief James mentioned that when you can see the finish you've only got a mile to go.  I still can't see the race finish so I'm thinking I'm not going to do sub 9 at this rate.  I've gone through the last field and now head into a village - surely this is Knockholt - see a sign "Race finish turn left" - I'm nearly there - one small slope to climb to the finish in at time of 08:55:14.  Average pace of 5.55 mph.  Sub 9 hour finish; this is my 2nd best time for a 50 mile run; 5 minutes of my PB; Ranked 33rd out of 221 (15 percent), 14th best in my age category.  James appluads me at the end "3 out 3" - just 5 more races to go for Centurion ... Not a PB but considering the Thames Path 100 was only 2 weeks ago really chuffed with my recovery time.  Only 3 of us are doing the "Double Double" Grand Slam (4 x 100 and 4 x 50 miles in a calendar year) and I'm top of that of leaderboard.  I congratulate the 3rd place lady (Charley) less than minute seperated her from best 2nd lady - as she said "the other lady was flying ..."  Reality starts to set in now with complete cramp in my hamstrings, totally dehydrated and feeling sick.  After the photo session, I eat a couple of hot-dogs, take on some water and I end up walking 6 laps of the field and the cramp has virtually gone ...  Hopefully start training again on Tuesday ready for the South Downs Way 100 mile in 4 weeks time ....


No comments:

Post a Comment