Sunday 15 March 2020

Altra Torin 3.5 Mesh Running Shoe Review






Altra Torin 3.5 Mesh Running Shoe: From John O'Groats to Lands End …

Having completed John O'Groats to Land's End (JOGLE) in 21 days in 2018 one of the reasons why I struggled was because I was wearing a Inov-8 Terraclaw 250 - a trail shoe.  (See the review here - Shannice can you add in a link to the review once it's being approved …)  

Personally, I prefer trail shoes rather than wearing a running shoe just because of the zero drop.  However, in 2019 I attempted JOGLE again with this time opting for a running shoe with a zero drop and Altra are on the best running shoes.  I was recommended the Altra Torin 3.5 Mesh Running Shoe by a fellow Ultra runner.  

Here is my review:

SPECIFICATIONS:

Make: Altra
Model: Torin 3.5 Mesh 
Fit: Standard Fit
Pronation: Neutral 
Size: 7.5 (UK); 8.5 (US); 42 (EURO)
Colours: Blue; White 
Weight: 220 grams 

The Altra Torin provides three key areas:
The Foot Shape, Zero-Drop and Comfort/Durability …

THE FOOT SHAPE:

When you run your feet expand rather than staying in the same position when you walk.   Traditional running shoes feature pointy toe boxes that squeeze the toes out of their natural position.  Altra's Footshape toe box allows the toes to relax and spread out naturally and the big toe to remain in a straight position.  This reduces over-pronation, enhances stability and creates a powerful toe-off to maximize running performance.  

Unfortunately for me, my gait is a supinator so I need a wider forefront outsole to prevent me from rolling my ankles too much.  As you would expect my worn out Altra Torin 3.5 Mesh Running Shoes shows a wear pattern on the outer side of the sole. Having said this I did not experience the rolling of my ankles.  

Pictures below of the wear pattern: 






PICTURE OF WEAR PATTERN 

ZERO-DROP:

Most running shoes feature elevated heels that promote poor form by encouraging high-impact overstriding.  We were born without an elevated heel so why have this in a running shoe?  

The Altra Torin 3.5 Mesh Running Shoe allows you to maintain a natural foot position throughout your run.  In essence, the Zero-Drop platform places the heel and forefront the same distance from the ground. This naturally aligns the feet, back and body and encourages a low-impact landing.  

Well, that's the theory anyway.  In reality I felt the impact on my feet.  I would of liked more cushioning. I also experienced a loud noise when running on the road.  

COMFORT AND DURABILITY:

As mentioned previously, the comfort was less than expected from Torin because I did experience loud noises when running on the road.  This made my toes painful where the proximal phalanges meets the metatarsal bones.  

The durability was consistent with a running shoe - JOGLE was 882 miles so using three pairs each pair lasted roughly 294 miles.  

However, I was alternating each pair after the end of each day to prevent heat spots.  I did not come across any hotspots which can lead to blisters just because I brought three pairs and alternated the pairs of running shoes on different days.

The actual mileage was: 

Pair 1 = 311 miles
Pair 2 = 304 miles 
Pair 3 = 267 miles 

I also experienced a wear pattern on the outer side of the sole, but this was more to the fact that I have a supinator gait. 

When I bought three pairs (January 2019) they were £130 each so they were expensive.  Nowadays, you can nearly get them for half that price in a sale.   

PROS:

  • Leightweight
  • Comfort
  • 'Feel the road'

CONS:

  • Cushioning and responsiveness
  • Value for money 
  • Loud noise when running
  • Zero-Drop 
  • Limited colour choices

Overall rating:

70 out of 100 

Thanks to the Altra Torin 3.5 Mesh Running Shoe I completed JOGLE in 17 days. 

RunRepeat
https://runrepeat.com/altra-torin-35-mesh

No comments:

Post a Comment